- New blocks in the base game: Event Controller, AI Offensive & Defensive, AI Basic & Recorder, AI Flight
- Quality of life changes, combat and UI improvements
- New Premium content: Emotion Controller, Saddle Cockpits, Decorative signs, walls and more
Automaton: "A machine that performs a function according to a predetermined set of coded instructions, especially one capable of a range of programmed responses to different circumstances.”
This update will not only reshape automation, but it will also serve as a basis for continued exploration of the “NPC” concept. Automation has never been so easy! Complex mechanized systems can now be more easily realized through use of the new “Event Controller”. Airlocks, docking clamps, loading bays, and mecha controls are now simpler than ever. The event controller not only provides new functionality, but delivers this functionality in an easy to use and easy to understand block. These powerful new mechanics will create new engineering opportunities and serve as a foundation for future upgrades and improvements to the existing PvE content.
From flight control to combat maneuvers, the AI series of blocks delivers a completely new way to automate every aspect of your Space Engineers experience. Taxi service from space station to planetary surface? Guardian drone to patrol the perimeter while you are away? Perhaps you would like a helper to follow you while mining, or working, and shoulder the load. All of this and so much more is easily accomplished!
Explore a future full of automated and animated allies and enemies. For this Major update we have provided you with the tools you need to define a new era in automation. These new blocks empower your creativity like never before. We cannot wait to see the workshop come ALIVE with new creations.
This is only the beginning as we continue our exploration of the autonomous.
- AI Flight (Move) - 1 block, S + L grid
- Designed for flight control in both space and atmosphere. The Flight block enables complex behaviors in-flight as well as detailed control of how your grid will move in both space and atmosphere.
- AI Basic (Task) - 1 block, S + L grid
- An extended version of the Remote Control block that provides complex functions such as following the player, traveling to a “Home” destination, and of course Autopilot, as well as the original basic behaviors.
- AI Recorder (Task) - 1 block, S + L grid
- A precision flight path recorder. The recorder can not only log and follow a selection of waypoints, but it is also able to record and replay hotbar actions that trigger on waypoints.
- AI Defensive (Combat) - 1 block, S + L grid
- Allows for the easy automation of complex defensive behaviors such as when (and how) to flee combat, as well as what locations to fall back to. Additionally, the defensive AI can determine what weapons to use when returning fire, and how to identify a possible threat.
- AI Offensive (Combat) - 1 block, S + L grid
- The Offensive block is a highly level AI block. Able to perform extremely complex tasks including target identification, targeting priority, and execution of complex attack patterns.
- AI Blocks Guide: https://www.spaceengineersgame.com/new-players/grid-ai-guide/
- Updated Combat Guide: https://www.spaceengineersgame.com/new-players/warfare2-combat-guide/
- The "Forget Target" and "Copy Target" actions have been removed
- New action: Focus Locked Target (replacing Copy target)
When triggering this action, turrets will prioritize the target that is currently fully target locked by the player
- Target Lock Improvement
Turrets are now capable of seeing and engaging targets that are fully target locked by the player passively, as long as that target is within each turret's maximum range and Line of Sight. This means turrets will now automatically engage a locked target if it is within the turret’s max range and LoS, and the turret is not already engaging another target.
- Added Grey Lead Indicator + "Out of weapon range" text indicator when you are out of range for the selected weapon
- Increased Target Locking distance by 500m, totaling 2500m
- Turrets: cycle subsystem in toolbar now shows the name of currently selected subsystem
- UI improvements: New overlay when manually controlling turrets
Free DLC Content Additions
(1 block, S + L grid)
What's Next - "Bring the world to life"
Frequently Asked Questions
A: Yes. We hear you and we have big changes, updates, and additions planned for 2023 and beyond.
Q: How do I provide feedback?
A: Please contact us with your bugs, and feedback here: https://support.keenswh.com
Q: Can we expect some special promotions in the future?
A: We are always looking at new ways to bring Space Engineers to a wider audience. Special promotions are good opportunities for this. We have a number of exciting promotions planned for the future, which include both game and DLC content!
Q: Are you planning to expand the Automatons update later, add new AI blocks?
A: We have ideas for more and we're looking into it.
Q: My drone does not do what I want? Why has it stopped working?
A: New Grid AI blocks are complex to set up, sometimes it's hard to debug and understand what is happening or not happening. Checking the block’s console is always a great first step to understanding AI block behavior. Learn more about our new AI blocks here.
Space Engineers available to preorder on PlayStation!
Remote collaboration is possible!
Our team is global.
Finding the best candidates to join Keen Software House means exploring every possible solution, including remote work. While we strive to provide team members with the best possible work-life balance here in Prague at our incredible Oranzerie offices, we understand that it is not always possible to transition, therefore we are very remote-friendly. Here’s a map of where our teammates live.
Follow our social media to get the latest news!
We are always impressed by the innovation of our modding community! We would like to thank the Space Engineers community for continuing to inspire us through their ideas, suggestions, and hard work.
If you want to let me know your feedback, please get in touch via my personal email address firstname.lastname@example.org, or use our Keen Software House support site. I welcome all of the feedback we receive and we will use it to learn and provide better services to our players.
Thank you for reading this blog!
CEO, Creative Director, Founder at Keen Software House
CEO, CTO, Founder at GoodAI
Marek Rosa is the founder and CEO of GoodAI, a general artificial intelligence R&D company, and Keen Software House, an independent game development studio, started in 2010, and best known for its best-seller Space Engineers (nearing 5 million copies sold). Space Engineers has the 4th largest Workshop on Steam with over 500K mods, ships, stations, worlds, and more!
Marek has been interested in game development and artificial intelligence since childhood. He started his career as a programmer and later transitioned to a leadership role. After the success of Keen Software House titles, Marek was able to fund GoodAI in 2014 with a $10 Million personal investment.
Both companies now have over 100 engineers, researchers, artists, and game developers.
Marek's primary focus is the development of Space Engineers, VRAGE3 engine, AI Game, and Memetic Badger.
GoodAI's mission is to develop AGI - as fast as possible - to help humanity and understand the universe. One of the commercial stepping stones is the "AI game," which features LLM-driven NPCs grounded in the game world with developing personalities and long-term memory. GoodAI also works on autonomous agents that can self-improve and solve any task that a human can.