The last release on the 30th/31st August was the first one after 8 months of awkward silence. Now it's the time for some reckoning.
What went right:
- the in-game editor was finished up to the usable state
- the new renderer was finished up to the usable state
- we survived switch from a small team to a medium sized team
- we went over 20,000 registrations, sold over 8700 sold copies
- switched from .NET 3.5 to 4.0, and XNA 3.1 to 4.0 without any major issues
What went wrong:
- the P2P auto-updater and setup downloader were not finished on time, so we had to remove them from the release just a few hours before the deadline and let the users download a new setup file
- no multi-player yet
- standard misunderstanding between the Test and the Public Build led to confused users, hatred and even wars!
- there were more bugs than what am I used to and what can I personally accept - so this is a big area for an improvement. One of the steps we took was hiring a new part-time tester.
Public Build vs. Test Build
Since we have such a great community I decided to use your help in deciding whether we should open Test Build for every paying customer.
Let me repeat why not everyone gets into the test build: we want to upset our customers! Yes, that's step one. Step two is ***. And finally step three is profit.
But really - the only reason was that we wanted to limit the number of people who get into the test build and see the unstable and unpolished version of the game. We didn't really realize that many people who can't get into the test build would feel cheated and betrayed this way.
So right now we are considering to open the test build to every paying customer. Probably starting with the next release.
New Logo for Keen Software House
Let me know which logo do you like most. And don't tell me they all look "nazi".